Monday, October 22, 2007

To Finish or Not to Finish?

That is an interesting observation I’ve made through the years.

There are those readers among us, myself excluded, who will plod through a novel and finish it because they have started it and feel duty-bound to do so. No matter how boring, no matter how poorly written. Patrons will turn in a book complaining about how bad it was; yet they read till the bitter end. It is not like there is going to be a quiz or they have invested big money.
I choose a novel for entertainment and escapism. If the writing, the plot or the characters do not capture me, I feel no obligation and will quickly say good-bye to the novel. There are too many books waiting to be read for me to waste time on one that does not interest me.
Where do you fall in this category? Do you read every last page or throw it back after giving it a fair chance? What are your criteria for sticking it out or giving up? What will cause you to close the book?
**Comments are what bring a blog to life. If you are not familiar with blogs, it is easy to leave a comment. Click on the “comments” link below this paragraph. In the space provided, leave your message. It is not necessary to have a blog or special account. You can chose “anonymous” as your identity and sign with just a first name only if you choose.

No comments: